Mediterranean Halibut ~ Oven baked Mediterranean style halibut with fresh bell peppers, onions, capers, and kalamata olives.
Summer is in full effect. Our garden is producing and we're loving it.
With the summer heat blazing, we tend to want to eat lighter. I am not a huge fan of using my oven in the heat, but occasionally I must. Luckily, this dish cooks quickly before the house heats up.
30 minute meal
If I am going to turn on my oven in 90° heat, it has to be for a little time as possible. This Mediterranean Halibut does just that. 25 minutes is all it takes in the oven.
Depending on how quickly you slice the bell peppers and onions, you can have this dinner from ingredients to the table in about 40 minutes.
To keep things light, this was dinner. I didn't serve it over pasta, rice, or any type of carb. However, this would be amazing over rice, with a short sturdy pasta, or even over a garlic mashed potatoes.
- 6 bell peppers; yellow, red, and orange (not green)
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt; divided
- ¼ tsp. pepper; divided
- 6 garlic cloves; minced/grated
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes (and liquid)
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. drained capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 skinless halibut portions (~1.5 lbs.)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the peppers and onions with 2 tbsp. evoo, garlic, and 1/8 tsp. of the salt and pepper.
- On a greased baking tray, casserole dish (oval or rectangle), or in cast iron skillet, arrange the peppers and onions in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, olives, parsley, capers, remaining olive oil, and lemon juice; set aside.
- Season the fish with the remaining salt and pepper.
- When the peppers and onions have baked for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and place the fish on top.
- Pour the olive and tomato mixture over the fish.
- Return to oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes (until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork), basting with the pan liquid half way through.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy.